Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tires ... H-mmm

Well, I was going to take yet another (that would be 3 days in a row) off from riding after golf this afternoon but then I just got this itch to ride so I threw on my stuff and went out to the garage ... got on the bike and ... the front tire was flat! This is very cool. Because what must've happened is near the end (probably the last mile here in town) of the 100 mile ride on Saturday I must have picked up a small piece of glass or something and there was an extremely slooooow leak. So it got me home and then went flat in the garage. And I say that's pretty damn considerate!

But I still wanted to ride so decided to change the tire right there. Then I decided I'd actually patch the tube ... since I have this nice patch kit that's about 12 years old and I've never used it (always just put in a new tube). Next helpful revelation: somewhere along the way a small hole was poked in the tube of glue from the patch kit and the glue simply evaporated. There was nothing there! I would've been *very* disappointed if I'd been out in the middle of nowhere and had to patch a tire for some reason ... because I would've been SOL. So, fortunately, I can now get a new tube of glue and the kit will be ready to go again.

Then, of course, *after* I'd just finished putting the wheel back on the bike, the phone rings (I'm still in the garage) and I run inside to grab it and it's the bike shop calling to say my new Armadillo tires are in. As you might guess from the name, the tires are the closest thing there is to puncture proof. They have a band of kevlar around the outer part of the tire. Well, they're a bit heavier than the regular tires but I think they'll effectively be the end of flats (and I've had two in the last 8 weeks) ... and I don't care too much about the weight anyway because I'm not racing (well, mostly ... hehe) the bike.

Yesterday was a fun day but I was still tired in the afternoon so I just took a nap when I got home from work. Then went on a little out of town dinner excursion and didn't get home until 11pm. But the nap was still holding me up fine and I slept very well last night. Not a great day at golf today, by the way, but hopefully the Cedar Rapids Senior AM Tourney will go better for Larry and me this weekend. I also have tickets for the free country concert Sunday evening but I don't think I'm going to go this year. Might be more fun to go dancing somewhere than to an outdoor concert ... well, guess I'll think about it some more.

Not much else going on right now ... but I'm a slight bit hungry and very thirsty after the ride and the golf this afternoon. Eating always makes me smile ...

No comments: