Sunday, June 10, 2007

Saturday Night ...

Had a fun time last night (Saturday). I was torn between going up to the Center for the Arts in Waterloo (they had a dance) and doing something locally. Finally decided to stay close to home (as I'd done quite a bit of driving on Friday night anyway). So first I stopped at Sammy's and had one of their oh-so-excellent hamburger's (and they toast the bun!) for supper. Also played a few video games. Then it was off to the Sip'N'Stir lounge to see Mike and sing a song at the Crowne Karaoke show. It wasn't too busy yet (so the smoke level was low) and I also played a few video games there as I waited for Mike to get his system going. For some reason, he had it fired up just about right and it sound good last night. But then I was off to North Liberty as they were having North Liberty "Fun Days", including the band Black Diamond in the city park. Well, that was "OK" but pretty much a bust as there was no hard surface (all grass) to dance on. Interestingly enough, the folks from Swisher were there doing their same (monotonous after awhile) 1 of 3 or so line dances that they do to every possible tune that comes up. Anyway, despite the $8 charge to listen to the band (pretty much a ripoff, btw), I left there fairly soon after arriving.

Next stop, The Red Lion on Center Point Road (just off 42nd ST, NE). There were quite a few folks there, including a few good dancers (they do have a small dance floor) and Mike (from Mike and Normandy's Grey Wolf karaoke) along with Mike's mom, Madonna. Joe (harmonica Joe) and several other people were there but not too crowded at all and there was not much smoke. Oh, btw, Alyssa was there from Brian Holme's karaoke and it was her birthday (26, I think ... she guessed that I was 23 and I said "yes, and you know how I enjoy older women" ... haha). Actually, June 9 was also my 32nd anniversary date of starting work at Collins. Determined to dance, I did get a dance in with Madonna. Did a couple songs here and then went up to Sammy's with Joe. Man! was that place busy. But it was "fun" busy, not wall to wall ... and Sandy (from karaoke at Gilligan's) was there in an unusual night off. Then it turned out that Alyssa was there (had gone there from Red Lion) and there were several ladies to dance with. Did a few songs, including a duet with Alyssa, and then headed home. Well, I admit that I didn't get to bed until 2am this morning ... I know my schedule will be screwed up but it was just fun. I think I'll probably go up to Faythe's dance at Electric Park this coming Friday.

I may need to take a little nap yet today ... but I do want to be sure to get to bed by about 10 tonight so, of course, I'm leery of getting too much sleep during the day. One thing I've come to realize is that if I don't get enough good, regular sleep for a few weeks, I have a much greater tendency to come down with a cold or something like that. I've been doing well on sleep and exercise since early March of this year and I can't say I've had a single cold since then. Something, I suppose, about sleep renewing your immune system. And, of course, we all remember the old saying "a strong immune system is certainly worth a big smile" ... hehe.

No comments: