Friday, June 15, 2007

0:48 Falls Easily!

Well, I broke through the 48 minute barrier today. Averaged about 18mph with a finish time of 47:20 for the 14.25 mile route. It was pretty easy to do, with an average heart rate of 142 and a peak of 171 (that was a tough hill!). Well, I guess the next barrier must be 47 minutes. Cool.

Got most of the stuff ready for the century ride tomorrow. How early I get started is probably going to be driven by how late I'm out tonight. For example, if I go dancing and it's really boring or there aren't many singles there to dance with, then I'll probably be in bed early and I'll be out of here by 6am. But if it's a real good time then I might stay later than I really should and won't get going that early. That said, early is really going to be better as the temp and humidity will both be very high starting late in the morning tomorrow. My secret carb weapons include ... Yes! you guessed it ... M&M's and Hot Tamales! Well, at least if I get desperate I'll certainly go to them. I am worried about the M&M's melting ... h-mmm, better use a ziplock bag. At least then I'd simply have some liquid chocolate without it getting on all my other stuff in the pannier. Oh, I forgot, M&M's melt only in your mouth ... not in your hand. Well, OK then, but what if they're actually not in my hand either? I suspect they will, actually, melt in that case. Guess we'll have to see. I have a few cooler packs but they'll only partially work for the way up to Waterloo. Not going to be a factor at all coming back as they'll be all in meltdown mode. Well, it will be interesting.

I figure I need about 60 grams of carbs per hour as I ride. That should be easy to accomplish ... along with 16-20 ounces of liquid (gatorade and water) every hour. And I need to be sure to have sunblock on so that I'm not all burned out for golf on Sunday morning, eh? To be honest, I'm not sure I'll go golfing on Sunday ... but if not, I'll let the rest of the 4-some know Saturday night (before I go out singing, hehe). They have the idea that we should all practice at Ellis golf course before the Senior City Am tournament starts for us next Saturday. My thought is that if I play well I will probably have wasted a bunch of good shots that would've served me well at the actual tournament (i.e., I'm only allocated so many good shots in my life and when a goodly amount of them happen to occur on the same day, I have a very good round ... otherwise, of course, I don't ... haha). Well, I'll be smiling Saturday night after my ride is finished, no matter what.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I read your Friday blog...just like having a conversation...I logged on to see how your bike ride went...from your blog it seems that your bike riding is a very important part of your routine both physically and mentally...I admire your constitution to commit your time and energy...they say that working out is addictive..my son tells me that..anyway hope you had a good ride and kept up with the carbs and hydration.