Saturday, June 9, 2007

Sub 49:00-Finally

Well, today I finally got under 49 minutes for my regular ride (average about 17.4 mph). This is only the 2nd time this has happened and the first time was some kind of biorhythm super positive fluke (hehe) ... several years ago. Anyway, my time was 48:59 and I'll take it.

Last night was interesting and I did quite a bit of driving ... but after hanging out waiting until after 10pm for a friend to show at a street dance, I ended up going to Waterloo and then singing at Bill's in Evansdale. The street dance thing was kinda fun while I was hanging out there as they had a little carnival and all kinds of treats (but I only had a smallish bag of popcorn ... gotta watch my girlish figure, you know!). After a while though it gets a little claustrophobic for me (and especially with an uncountable number of drunk folks smoking cigarettes and blocking off most real dancing opportunities). I did see a few folks from Waterloo there but not much happening in the way of good dancing. Well, I had fun no matter what!

Today I got my lawn mowed and (see above) my bicycle ride in and then stopped over for lunch at Pei's. Apparently I just missed my friend Bob, though, who consistently eats there on his way to the theater to catch a movie every Saturday afternoon. And, good news here, all my 30" waste slacks and jeans fit just right again (hehe) ... so see, I was right to work on getting that figure slimmed down!

Thinking about taking a motorcycle ride but I'm feeling a little bit lazy ... haven't been able to pick a town to drive to ... but Grundy Center comes to mind as I have a friend there (although I'd probably just go there for a quick cup of coffee). But with this laziness thing coming over me maybe it's better if I do a little more research on bicycle chains ... as I did just pick up a spare Shimano 9-speed (Ultegra) chain. I have to decide if I should soak it in solvent and then put my own lube on it. Apparently (I've read, not talked to anyone), different chains come with different factory lubrication and some are good but some you don't really want to leave on. Also, I've ordered a couple more bicycle maintenance manuals so that I can more easily understand and repair things that happen in everyday riding.

By the way, that guy (Adam) and his wife that were going to stop to check out the old bike on Thursday evening couldn't make it as she got asked to work late at the last minute ... so that's still a future event (and no rush).

I'll tell ya, there's plenty of holes around my house from a ground squirrel that is really busy. I know there are at least 5 and he's moving out further from the house too. I don't know what to do. I guess I could pour concrete down them but that seems like it could be a fairly negative thing for the lawn in the long term. There's probably some kind of poison that would work too ... but I'd really just be happy to discuss it with him and see if he'd consider scaling back construction a bit ;-).

Well, I think I'll relax for awhile and also practice some songs for the upcoming week. Hopefully that will make all of us smile sometime this week.

No comments: