Monday, May 14, 2007

Something to be "Cranky" About ...

Ha-ha. Interesting subject line, eh? Well, what happened today is that I was trying a new route (pretty good one, total of 22.7 miles and only 7 miles on the trail when mud must be avoided) today and about 5 miles out, I started hearing/feeling a slight "clunk" noise from the crank (left side pedal). About 5 miles later it was a much more obvious "clunk-clunk" sound and subsequently it became fairly loud. My theory was that the pedal was loosening up on the crank and so, not having any tools for this, I called and then took it in to Northtowne to get the 25 hour checkup done (have almost 300 miles on it already). They said they'd have it ready tomorrow (Tuesday) by 5 or 5:30 so I can pick it up after golf and still get my late afternoon ride in. That'll be good.

This promises to be a busy golf week as Larry and I play league tomorrow then have a department tournament on Friday and a 2-person best shot tournament at Twin Pines on Sunday. Well, I suppose I should also go to the driving range once or twice ... h-mmm ... naaaa ... think I'll just wing it.

For those of you keeping track (hope you didn't think I'd forgotten), today marks the 18th straight riding day on the new bike ... yet another new "record" (ha-ha).

Went down to City Beat and sang tonight (couple of George Strait songs) and then picked up some fruit at Target. Of course, as you all probably know, it's time for the postage rate increase again. I still have stamps from when it was $.37 and now some at the $.39 rate (and I hate trying to get extra 2 cent stamps to add on). Now they have this remarkable new stamp called the "Forever" stamp that will continue to be good even after they (as "they" surely will) raise rates the next time. This is a good deal for me. I probably use about 10 stamps (or less) a year as I do everything with online payments (and, as you have figured out) almost no Christmas/Birthday cards. But I do send a few things out now and again (thank you's, etc.) so I'm not a total cretin .

In insect and arachnid news, I gunned down some wasps and a spider that were making their homes in my front entryway. I like spiders ... but sometimes I just have to put my foot down (ouch!). And, once again (smooth segway here), I endorse Spiderman 3 ... great flick. Almost went to "300" at the cheap seats but talked myself out of it and stopped over at Biaggi's for a Myer's and Diet Coke instead (good trade). And speaking of golf, how 'bout Lefty this past weekend?

Finally (I know, this seems particularly long-winded, even to me) my Aunt Elaine called me yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. She was in Iowa City with several of my cousins (including Val, but I didn't catch all the names). Seems one of my 2nd cousins (Elaine's granddaughter ... and Elaine is my mom's sister) just graduated from medical school and they were helping her get stuff together for a move. Well, I lost all the details in my head somewhere but I wanted to run down to Iowa City to see them quick but they were virtually going out the door. Knowing how tough it is to drive a long way (from Fargo/Mpls), pack stuff and then want to get on the road home, I didn't press the issue. But it was nice of her to call and I gave her my website address ... so maybe she'll pick up a bit more info that way (indirectly, of course, as they don't have a PC at their house).

Hope everyone smiled a lot on Mother's Day ... and a special hello to Dorothy (you know who you are). Good night ...

No comments: