Sunday, May 6, 2007

Cadence Counter ... Latest

The cadence counter on my latest (Specialized, Elite) cyclo-computer still misses a count (at a rate of about 2-3 per minute). Not a big deal but still annoying. I've entered an issue at the Specialized website and have been back to the dealer swapping pickup sensors and computers to see if something works. Well, nothing does. My best guess is that they probably have a bad batch of reed switches in the cadence pickups. So Friday I went back in to my Local Bike Shop (Northtowne Cyclery here in Cedar Rapids) and they contacted Specialized. To the company's credit they admitted that the unit was fairly new and that probably not many people actually mounted the cadence counter (it is wired but the speed sensor pickup is wireless and very quick to get going ... so probably most people stop there). Therefore, they said, it is possible that there is a problem but this is the first they've heard of it. So, on the theory that a bad batch of parts went out to some customers, they've got a new unit on its way to me, for which I give them credit. Now if they could only get the wind to die down around here a little ;-) ...

Then yesterday (5/5/07) I went out to the garage to get the bike out for a ride and the rear tire was flat! I quickly mounted the bike on the repair stand, pumped some air in the tire and spun it with my ear up close to see if I could quickly pick up the leak. No joy there and a quick visual examination revealed nothing. Then I thought "well, what if I put on my glasses? Maybe I could see something then." <-- doh. So I did and, about 1/2 way around the wheel I say a *very* tiny little mark on the tire. Sure enough a bit of saliva revealed a slow leak. I removed the wheel and dug out what must be the tiniest piece of glass that could possibly cause a tire leak. Anyway, knowing I had some spare tubes I was not too worried about getting on with my ride. Then I realized that the new wheels are drilled for Presta valves and my (old) spare tubes are Schraeder's (which are wider in diameter). Not wanting to drill out the rims, I decided to make a run to the bike shop to get new tubes and some Armadillo tires (from Specialized). Reviews on the Armadillo indicate that they definitely prevent punctures but there is concern that the sidewalls fray much quicker than should be expected (concern is a blowout at 40mph downhill). But I think I'll give them a try. In the meantime I'll review other options for the next set of tires. It's just a pain to have to repair flats and I don't want to go there very often.

Finally, I notice that the local theaters have morning showings of Spiderman 3 (including 10am today, Sunday). Now that's something I've never done before and, although I don't really like going to movies alone (but what's a guy to do if it's not out on DVD yet and there's no gal even on the horizon for a date?), I think I might go today, just in the spirit of adventure. Hopefully most folks (especially kids) will be in church or something and the theater won't be too crowded.

Keep smilin'

No comments: