Friday, October 5, 2007

Roof 1/2 Finished ...

The roof is about half finished ... maybe more like 40% as it's the "easy" part of the north side that's actually complete. Turns out the the mount for the Dish antenna was in the way so they loosened the mounting bolts from the side panel of the roof and, of course, I first found out about this by trying to tune in the TV. They were surprised that such a small (vertical, about 1/2") movement of the mount base meant that I could no longer get reception (I wasn't surprised, though). Anyway, I called Dish and they're sending someone out (but it won't be until 9am on Sunday, 10/7/07) to re-locate the antenna. I could probably do it but I don't have the equipment to easily ensure proper alignment (you have to use the TV and watch the signal power, then tweak the dish, then recheck the power, etc., etc.). I suspect they won't charge me as they'll just be happy I decided to not screw with it ... but we'll see. Anyway, it won't be much and I'd rather have it done right. I also told them I'd like the old mounting holes filled in (I guess they could just put lag bolts in them) but I bet they don't get that part right.

Had a nice ride to Center Point today as the weather is about like early July around here. Pretty surprising. I do think the roofing guys appreciate it and I also expect that the roof will be done by Wednesday or Thursday of next week (but no later than Friday, 10/12/07). It seems to be the talk of the neighborhood and I have to say that what's up there is looking pretty good. I'll just be glad when it's done.

In other news Alliant Energy came and picked up my old fridge and gave me a $35 check ... alright! That's better than paying Sears $10 to haul it away. And I didn't really try to sell it, just asked a few people at work if they might be looking for a second fridge. Larry might've been but I know he's already got one out in the golf barn at his place so I was confident he didn't need another one. But one nice feature is that it had a working ice-maker ... oh well. I'm just glad it's gone.

Guess I'll get dressed for the evening and then run a few errands before going up to Electric Park to dance. After that I'll head back down to Cedar Rapids and sing a few songs. Of course, tomorrow it's back to laundry and lawn mowing ... yea! The bicycle now has 2951 miles on it for 2007 and I'll hit 3000 sometime next week (probably Tuesday). I think that should be an annual goal of mine ... 3000 miles on the bicycle. Should be doable with 7 solid months of riding, maybe 3 months of "gray area" for riding outside and then just 2 months where it's really not fun (and maybe dangerous) to be out on the bicycle in Iowa. Even with 7 months, that's still right around 100 miles a week, which isn't too tough. After 2008 I may up my goal if it appears that it's too easy to hit it.

Later ...

No comments: