Sunday, October 28, 2007

New Jeans ...

It would seem that buying new jeans isn't much news, but I always have trouble in this area. First of all, my favorite jeans are Levi's 550 and the waist size is 30 inches. Well, there aren't a lot of 29, 30, 31 inch jeans on the shelf. But there are *some* choices, from the waist size perspective. The length is another issue. The ideal length for me is 33 ... and I've never seen any jeans with 30 waist and 33 length from Levi. I actually called and talked to a representative a few years ago and finally figured out (the person I was talking to didn't know this off the top of his head either) that Levi does not make jeans with a length that is an odd number. My immediate observation to them was that a change of 2" to go to the next length is fairly drastic. And it has never worked for me. So what I have to do is get them shortened. Anyway, it's a big deal for me to get new jeans and then shorten them to the proper length ... so that discussion makes this subject blog-worthy ... ;-). In my search yesterday, I did see, for the first time ever, some 33 inch length Levi's jeans ... but the waist was 29. However, I was fortunate to find what were apparently the very last 2 pair of 30-34" jeans (and the deal was buy one, get the second pair at 1/2 price, so I needed to find two pair or it didn't make sense to get any at all). So I bought them!

This morning I'm washing the jeans and then I'll get them shortened sometime this week. My washer and dryer handle jeans very well and the key to having them not shrink is to dry them on medium (not high) heat. They still dry pretty quickly since the washer has a very high spin that gets them to be much less damp before they even hit the dryer.

Today I really need to repack the front wheel bearings on the bike so I'm going to try to make that happen. In other news, I simply cannot seem to find my cell phone power adapter for the car. Don't know what I did with it but I know that the last time I had it was on RAGBRAI. I've confirmed 100% that it's not anywhere in the car so I'm going to methodically go through my old packing bags and pannier pockets from RAGBRAI to try to find it. I really don't use it very often but it would be a pain to take off on any kind of longer car trip and not have it. So I'll have to get another one if I can't find the original. Wish me luck! :-)

Otherwise it is getting distinctly cooler around here, which is typical for Halloween. Speaking of which, I did get a bag of candy to give out on Wednesday. But last year not a single ghost or goblin came to the door. So I'm going to have to put in a lot of workout miles if I have to personally "dispose" of those treats or else I'll take them in to work and give them away there ... that stuff does go fast at work.

Later ...

No comments: