Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bicycle Smoothie

Well, the bike shop finished the hub overhaul on my rear wheel (bearings, cones, races & cassette). Man, along with the chain lube I did Sunday, what a smooth ride I had up to Center Point this afternoon. The freewheel is a very smooth "clickity-click" now when coasting (which isn't very often) and I got some bearings for the front wheel, which I haven't installed yet but will probably do by the weekend.

One thing is for sure, whenever I start to have any kind of shifting issues, cleaning and lubing the chain always brings back smooth, precise gear changes. H-mmm, that reminds me that I need to check the chain stretch and see whether it's time to consider replacing the chain again.

Ryan made it back to North Carolina last night around 9:30. The drive back was without incident except for a close call with a deer ... which ended up hitting the car right behind his. Well, who knows, maybe it was a miracle, eh?

Still trying to decide about whether or not to retire next year. Seems like not much need to keep on working anymore as I don't have a family to support (and no likelihood of getting one in the near future). I don't know ... but I've really been thinking about this since February 18, so it's not like I'm only just considering it. Also, I started on this path several years ago as I got with my broker to see what I needed to do to be able to retire by 55. If I find that my work isn't interesting anymore, why not do other things that are? The debate goes on, at least in my head. Oh, yeah, and thank goodness for friends, margaritas at Papa Juan's and karaoke ... life is good.

No comments: