Sunday, September 9, 2007

Super Sunday

Interesting afternoon and evening yesterday (Saturday). I did end up mowing the lawn and then decided to ride up to Center Point on highway 150 ... well, I thought, the weather is great so why not? For some reason it takes about 40 minutes for me to make it up there (to the Casey's) and then about 45-47 minutes coming back (at least for the two times I've taken this ride). I think it must be a little downhill going up there (north) and uphill on the way back. In particular, there was virtually no wind yesterday so that wasn't a factor.

Then (after a shower, of course) I went down to Union Station and watched the first quarter of the Iowa game on their huge televisions. But it started getting pretty smoky in there so I left and decided it was time for a hamburger ... naturally leading me to Sammy's. After that I decided to head down to the Red Lion as it was near time for them to start the evening's karaoke. Had a pretty good time there and, in particular, I was very pleasantly surprised when, after asking the hostess, Wendy, if she knew the Brad Paisley/Alison Krauss duet "Whiskey Lullabye" she said "yes" and agreed to sing it with me. That wasn't the real surprise ... which came when we started singing. She not only knew it but did an absolutely amazing job ... what a talent! I'll have to see if she'll do more duets from time to time. Then Joe (the harmonica wielding Fed Ex driver) signed up me, him and Dave to do Seven Bridges Road ... he called it the "Let's Dance" reunion as we all used to sing there and that's where Joe first started playing/singing. That was fun.

Tiger's on the prowl today again, looking to win the BMW championship (part of the FedEx Cup) at Cog Hill (in Chicago). I think he's about 1 under after 4 holes and is 1 shot out of first place. I think he's going to win this ... as he is just playing solidly today (well, no risky prediction there, eh?).

Had a nice, smooth bicycle ride this morning and took another look at my roof today. I'm seriously thinking that it's looking poorly (especially on the south side) and I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can get a bid or two on a metal roof. There's a few reasons for this line of thought. First, the lifetime of such a roof is at least 2-3 times that of an asphalt roof (some have 30-50 year warranties). Second, there's an energy tax credit available of up to $500. Third, there may be favorable treatment from a house insurance perspective (less of a fire hazard as well as much less likelihood of storm damage). Finally, I'm probably going to just stay in this house forever ... but if it's going to be in the area of as short as 15 years or so, there doesn't seem to me to be any good reason for replacing the shingles yet again (even if it's just to sell the place). Of course, the value of the house should be enhanced a bit by the better quality roof too (hope that doesn't result in higher property taxes though!). Well, we'll see what the options are.

And how 'bout those Cubs!

Later ...

P.S. Well, it's later. Nice TV movie day as I watched the ends of two of my favorite movies, Pure Country and Pretty Woman. Okay, okay ... I guess it's true I'm a sap for happy endings where love wins out. Anyway, more important (anymore) is that Tiger did win today and I went out and played 9 holes of golf late this afternoon. This will be an exciting week as I get my teeth cleaned tomorrow and then ... well, who knows what for the rest of the week (hehe). G'nite.

No comments: