Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Riding In December in Iowa

Today could very well have been my last bicycle ride for the year. There are 3671 miles on the odometer and it looks like cold, snowy weather for the foreseeable future ... sigh. Of course, hope springs eternal and, after all, the year isn't over ... yet.

Latest news is that the hard drive on the Mac does not restart reliably upon returning from "sleep" mode. I'm pretty convinced it's the drive itself as it has been gradually (over the past month or so) taking longer and longer to "kick in" and start spinning up after I wake the computer. That time has gone from practically zero to 5 to 20+ seconds and in the past few days it has failed to start at all. So now my only issue is to decide whether to just buy a new 500GB Seagate drive for about $69 or spend time on the phone with Apple support and get to the same point, with significantly more aggravation, in about 2 weeks. Of course, it is possible that something else (memory, some other hardware component, maybe even software) is the problem. And then I would kick myself for wasting time on the Hard Drive replacement. But I don't think it voids the warranty ... I'll have to check it out.

Hope everyone got a chance to see Jupiter, Venus and the crescent Moon (the 3 brightest objects in the earth's night sky) in conjunction last night just after sunset.

No comments: