Thursday, December 4, 2008

Walking & Ice

It's just so much nicer to get outdoors in the winter that I think I'll focus on cross country skiing and walking rather than indoor exercise (Nordic Track or stationary bicycle). All well and good but it's sometimes difficult to walk with the snow and ice that remain on sidewalks around here. A few years ago I happened on a device consisting of a set of shoe add-ons called "Yaktrax". They are stretchable and the bottom has a series of criss-crossing and tightly woven metal springs. When they are on your feet, they provide extremely reliable footing in slippery conditions, even ice. However, that first set did not stay on my shoes extremely well and it didn't take more than a season of walking for some of the rubber stretch parts to break apart. But, liking the sure footing when they worked, I decided to try again and now I have a pair of Yaktrax Pro attachments. Their initial test period started today and they fit very well. They also have an additional velcro strap across the top that allows them to be better positioned and maintained in that position on the shoes. So they worked great ... and we'll see how long they last.

So I've decided that the motorcycle's time is over for the year and, most probably, the bicycle's too. But, while I'm ready for spring already, winter is interesting in its own way. And it will be fun to ski, not to mention singing in many new places as I tour the rest homes in Cedar Rapids.

It feels like just a regular year coming up in 2009 ... we'll see, eh?

No comments: