Saturday, December 20, 2008

Get A Grip

The replacement units for the failed YakTrax "ice walkers" arrived today. Called "Get-A-Grip", they fit over the shoes and 6 small carbide-tungsten spikes provide traction on ice. The spikes are only about 1/8" long and they seem to work well even on hard surfaces (such as cleared sidewalks/streets). It remains to be seen how well they'll really hold up, but, for now, I recommend them over the YakTrax given that two YakTrax failed in only 30+ miles of walking (and no response at all yet from the company). By the way, I've now been able to find many negative YakTrax reviews with the same complaint as I have ... namely, that they are very unreliable as the gripper springs separate/break.

Today it's snowing again and the roads are very slick with an expectation that it will get worse if the wind picks up as forecast. This will be good for skiing, so no room for complaints.

Meanwhile, I'm testing out the complete hardware setup for Monday's Christmas karaoke show and, with some cappucino, Milk Duds and a couple of DVD's to watch, I have plenty to keep me occupied for this Saturday afternoon and evening. If the roads get reasonably cleared off I'll likely get out to sing tonight but probably no out of town driving as blowing snow is often worse than slippery roads.

No comments: