Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day ... Status

Good day out for riding. It's about 70 and it's still morning, plus it's *not* raining (yet) ... go figure! Turned 852 miles for the year on the bicycle today with about 55 hours of total riding time. It was a nice ride up to Center Point ... although the bugs are starting to be more numerous (quite a few hit me in the face and I'm pretty sure I swallowed one ... but at least I can say that he got the worst of that deal!).

I was up in the Cedar Falls area last night right after the big storm (several tornadoes) went through and it looks like it too. There were videos this morning of the Parkersburg area, which was hit hard by a mile-wide tornado (probably F4). So far it looks like 6 people died there and several more in nearby towns. It looks like a huge bomb went off and flattened most of the town ... pretty sad.

I'm shooting for 1500 miles as a minimum of training before RAGBRAI on the 19th of July. I think it will be as many as 1750 or so but probably not 2000 unless I get really serious about more consistently doing 25-50 miles several times a week. I'll probably replace the chain in early July and also put fresh tires on ... maybe a tune up in June would be good too. Otherwise, most things are ready to go. Of course, I still have to figure out the logistics about how to get out to the start and then back from the finish ... but there's time to work that out.

Today I took a minute to remember my friend, Larry. Along with other situations in life, this quote from Dean Koontz seems to say it best for me: "Loss is the hardest thing, but it's also the teacher that's the most difficult to ignore."

Later ... and keep on smilin' ...

No comments: