Thursday, May 15, 2008

50 Mile Ride, Over 700

Very good riding today as I followed my road route up towards Waterloo for 25 miles. It worked very well and I also saw some additional riding loop options such as turning south towards Vinton and then coming back through Shellsburg and Palo. I think I'll take the motorcycle out and ride such a route to check the distance and intersection turn choices. The bicycle odometer passed 700 today, reaching 708 by the time I made it back home. Burned 1756 calories and I didn't really focus too much on ensuring adequate carb availability. But I did have a few Slimfast bars, three carb gel packs and a 20 oz. Gatorade. I'd have needed much more than that for a full 100+ mile ride but it was adequate for today. Time for the ride was 3 hours and 15 minutes ... for a 15.2 mph average. Fairly easy to do when not hauling a load (like on RAGBRAI) and it could've been quite a bit better if not for a fairly consistent 10-25 mph breeze from the southeast (which affected the ride home significantly, although it did help on the way out).

Trying some new (old) songs again as I re-discover many that I've simply ignored for quite some time. One of these is "You Can Sleep While I Drive" by Melissa Etheridge. Also I'm trying some of the old Jim Croce stuff like "I Got A Name" and "Lover's Cross". Finally, a new (for me) country song "A Fire I Can't Put Out" by George Strait.

Tomorrow is the Spring Memorial Golf Tournament at Saddleback golf course in Solon. It will be good to see everyone from work again but, of course, sad in the sense that Larry will not be there. I'm tasked with running the scoring spreadsheet to figure out the winners (6 flights) as everyone comes in from the course. Although I was going to go to a surprise birthday party tomorrow night, I've decided to not go there as the start of the party is too close to the end of the golf outing and I don't want to be rushed in any way tomorrow.

Later ...

No comments: