Sunday, May 11, 2008

Fun Week, 1 Milestone, Ironman

Well, it has been a great week. My son Ryan has been here (he's at his mom's this weekend) and we went up to North Dakota to visit my Aunt early in the week. Then we just went out singing (karaoke) and also worked on getting his birthday PC set up and ready for him to take back to school.

The milestone this week is that I passed 600 miles on the bicycle for the year (606, in fact) as of yesterday's ride. I'm thinking I'll have between 1500 and 2000 miles ridden before the start of RAGBRAI, so I should be in good shape for that. I've also done a preliminary map of a road route (i.e., non-bicycle trail) from here to Waterloo so I can try that out without having to worry about a muddy or overgrown bike trail impeding progress. The only drawback is that it's between 4 and 6 miles further to ride the road (i.e., the bike trail is more direct than the road) so that's 8-12 miles added on to the standard 104 mile ride. But it would still be fun to do and I know I can handle it.

Just talked to Scott (my younger son) and he's looking at doing a National Park tour in June and asked if I wanted to go with him (camping, driving from park to park all month). I do, but I might end up joining him in the middle (say in San Francisco or Oregon) for the last 2 weeks or so as I'm not sure I will feel comfortable with my RAGBRAI training if I take all of June off from bicycle riding. Well, we'll see what happens there but it would definitely be fun to spend a few weeks doing that, especially with the Hennessey Hammocks (I talked to him about that and he's going to order one as well since he was just trying to figure out what to do about a tent anyway). That would be good training for setup/breakdown of the hammock before RAGBRAI.

Not much else to talk about I guess, except for Ironman. Don't even think about not going to see it, this is a good flick.

Later ...

No comments: