Sunday, July 27, 2008

RAGBRAI XXXVI Completed!

Here's to a successful and fun ride completed yesterday morning at LeClaire, IA on the banks of the mighty Mississippi river! Had a good time on RAGBRAI and met many nice folks, including Beth, Keith, Pat, Heather, Emily, Yves, Ruth, Dennis, Dwight, Rick, Monica and Ben, among others.

Found some good spots to hang the hammock and also got indoor places to stay at for 4 of the 7 nights of the ride ... sweet. I was happy to spend time at two of the houses working on PC's ... seemed like a good trade (a room for some needed advice and updates on a computer) and we all had fun getting "computer stuff" accomplished.

Overall, I rode 504 miles in 40 hours and 3 minutes (about 12.6 mph average). I was happy with that and with the fact that my weight at the end of the ride was identical to what it was at the start ... 161 pounds (I gave a *real good* shot at gaining weight though ... hehe, especially when it came to home made ice cream). The maximum speed I hit was a shade over 38 mph (I know, not too earth shattering, eh?). Over the next week or so I'll be updating this blog with a few pieces of RAGBRAI info that I saved in my journal as well as some pictures taken along the way. I took today off from riding but I did actually feel like getting on the bicycle ... go figure! Toughest day: Monday, hands down ... town that stood out the most in my mind: Ogden ... very fun with nice wide streets and an extremely *non*claustrophobic feeling for the visiting bikers. Most evil deed: some person or persons laying tacks out on the road which caused flats for several riders ... I think this was reported on in the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

It's good to be finished with the challenge of RAGBRAI and it was very much worth doing. More posts to come, including the story about "Ken's laundry" ... stay tuned.

Later ...

No comments: