Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mixing in some Golf too ...

Well, having played at Gardner on Sunday and Twin Pines today, I now have two official league rounds of golf in. On the back nine today I played with an interesting fellow named Bob who actually sings in a 4 part harmony barbershop quartet. He's going to call me one of these days to stop by at one of their rehearsals. I'll probably do that but I'm not sure that barbershop singing interests me too much ... especially since it's all A cappella. But since I've never really involved myself in that style before it should be fun to give it a whirl and, if nothing else, I expect to hear some good singing at their rehearsal.

Yesterday I degreased and re-lubed the bike chain and then repacked both the front and rear wheel bearings. After putting on new tires, I also lubed all the cables and pivot points in the derailleur/brake systems. Boy, that bike was running soooo smooth today. My best estimate on re-calibration of the cyclocomputer's wheel circumference value is that I needed to increase it by 4mm with the new (same style and size) tires installed. That means the diameter of the old tires had decreased by about 4/pi (about 1.27) mm. So the tire face had lost about .63 mm of tread (i.e. 1.27/2) in its lifetime of 4500 miles of biking so far. That really doesn't seem to be much tread wear ... h-mmm, maybe I should've put the old tire up against the new one and made an actual measurement. Well, too late now as I'm not going to do a tire change just for that. Maybe I'll check it when I put the old tires back on after RAGBRAI. I'm pretty confident they have another 1000 miles or so in them ... I just feel better about using the new tires for this upcoming adventure.

As of the end of today's training ride, I have 1551 miles in since starting in late March. That's in about 97 hours of riding. Looks like it will serve me well, especially in the first two hilly days at RAGBRAI this year. By the way, since I'm using a Hennessey Hammock instead of a tent, I hope that any camping I have to do will involve an area with trees! Actually, I can also set the hammock up as a tent, if need be, but that would result in a very hard surface to lay on since I'm not bringing any kind of mattress or closed cell foam pad.

Good news from Canon ... they're fixing my old camera at their expense as the CCD sensor problem was a recall issue for them. Yay! But they won't get it back to me before RAGBRAI so I'm happy I got a new (lighter, smaller) camera for the ride anyway.

Haven't put gas in my car since June 21. And probably won't have to until about the end of July (although I do have to pay for gas for my ride to get to the start of RAGBRAI and to be picked up at the finish). It's nice having the motorcycle, which, I'm reminding myself, needs to go in for its 12000 mile maintenance at the beginning of August.

By the way, my 41 (front 9 of Gardner last Sunday) for league actually won lowest net for the week and I got $10 for it ... nice. Not sure what my 9 hole handicap is ... probably about 9.

Starting to think about what to eat for supper, so I think I'll wrap this up now. There's a Tuesday night bicycling group that rides between two area places (bars/restaurants) and then has supper at the end of the round trip. I suppose I could do that tonight but I'm feeling pretty good about my workout situation today and I don't really feel like riding another 20 miles or so this evening ... although it would be fun ... h-mmm.

Later ... I ended up stopping over at Pei's for dinner and Alice shared with me that they are closing the place, effective this Friday, July 18. Tom and Alice will be renting the space to a guy who is going to open a Japanese restaurant there instead. Anyway, it's a sad day as I have really enjoyed going to Pei's ... although the one on the SW side of town will still be open. So I guess my main lead for a bartending job has now fallen through (hehe). Needless to say I, once again, did *not* go out on the Tuesday night restaurant ride. Maybe in two weeks.

No comments: