Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Visiting Up North and Brett Favre

Just got back from visiting my Aunt Elaine and Uncle Don in Fargo. Pretty good time ... well, except for the fact that the main karaoke place had "summer hours" and was closed the two evenings I was there. Not to worry though ... had a good time singing up at my cousin Ramsey's house.

Elaine is doing as well as could be expected, even a bit better than that, with the cancer fight. And I'm sure I'll make it up there to visit them again.

Don and I played some pool on his table out at the shop in West Fargo and he won the majority of the games. But it was clear that the pool balls needed replacing (all of them looked dull and worn out, with two 2 balls, two 7 balls and not even a 1 ball ... basically you could only play 8 ball with what was there). So I got him an early birthday present (he'll be 79 in September) consisting of a pretty decent set of new billiard balls along with a mechanical bridge (for those long shots, especially crucial on a 9 foot table). I think he'll enjoy it.

And what's with this Brett Favre thing? I'm a big fan of his but, really, his time is past ... kinda reminds me of Michael Jordan not knowing when to say when. I'll be the happiest guy if the Jets win the Super Bowl with Favre this year but it just ain't gonna happen! He's good ... and he can get a team to the playoffs ... but I don't see him having the capability to make it all the way anymore. And I respect the management of the Packers as they both realize the same thing and also stick by their commitment to Aaron Rodgers and the longer term success options for the team. A lesser group might have caved and brought Favre back to the Packers for another chance at the playoffs (again, this would be more to just "make" the playoffs but, in my opinion, not have much of a chance at going all the way).

Well ... let the season roll on and we'll see what transpires, eh?

In biking news I had a nice 24.3 mile ride this morning with light northerly breezes blowing me home after riding out to the north. So nice after 4 full days of not riding. Closing in on 2400 miles for the year so far and I'm expecting to reach between 3500 and 4000 miles by the end of the riding season.

Great weather out there still (and likely for the rest of this week) and I'm planning on doing some riding on the motorcycle today.

Later ...

No comments: