Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Interesting Ride Today ... and 2500 Miles

Definitely encountered a first today as I rode north on highway 150. At about a mile from Center Point, a car pulled up beside me on the road. This makes for a nervous situation on several levels. First, of course, I wondered if I was going to look over and see some nasty fellow about to run me off the road (or worse!). Well, that was not the case and before my mind could run crazily through other options, I did look over and observed that the driver was an elderly woman. She rolled down her (electric) window and asked me how to get to I-380 "from here". I replied that she needed to go up to the stop sign near the gas station and then turn left, to which she said "thanks" and off she went. However, I would not recommend her technique for information gathering. For one thing, she had to slow to about 16 mph to talk with me ... not good on a fairly major road unless you turn on your flashers. Better to pull into the next gas station and ask the question(s) one might have.

A nice milestone reached today as I hit 2500 miles for the year. Looks like that should make it relatively easy to beat the 3600 mile distance from last year and it would be nice to get to 4000. Meanwhile, those Armadillo tires just keep on rolling ... well over 4500 miles now without a flat tire.

With my weight down to 159, I'm feeling pretty good and I'm enjoying the Olympics ... although I think it's just too bad about the result for Nastia Liukin in the uneven bars (she was simply better and got ripped by bad scoring). By the way, does anyone at all out there really think either of those Chinese gymnasts (one got the gold and the other the bronze in the unevens) are older than about 6th grade? I think you have to be 16 to compete in the Olympics. Oh well ... and keep on keepin' on, volleyballers! The women are looking good both indoors and on the sand courts. Strangely enough, I haven't seen anything on men's volleyball ... h-mmm.

Keep on smilin' ... enjoy this "winding down" phase of summer and remember that it is *still* summer for over a month yet.

No comments: