Thursday, August 7, 2008

Nice Riding Day ...

The weather is just great with light winds and temps no higher than the low 80's. So I took off riding today, having decided that I'd take the "big loop" up through Center Point, Urbana, Vinton, Shellsburg, Palo and then back home. All went well until I got to within a couple miles of Vinton, coming in from the north on highway 150. The road there is still closed as a long stretch of about 2 miles was washed out in the June flood. Not being able to talk the IDOT folks into letting me pass during the work, I turned around, rode back the way I came, and ended up with 57.25 miles on today's ride. Apparently it will be 4-6 weeks before highway 150 north of Vinton reopens for regular traffic ... so that loop is not an option for riding for awhile.

My total riding time this year is now at 154 hours covering 2338 miles, with 239 miles since the end of RAGBRAI. It's nice to have such great weather ... low humidity and light winds ... it makes each day just that much more smooth.

Today I tried orange flavored PediaLyte as an electrolyte/mineral replacement fluid. My son Scott recommended this as a good alternative to Gatorade for summer outdoor workouts. It really did seem to be pretty good stuff but I will say that the flavored PediaLyte is really too sweet. I mixed it 50/50 with water and that was much better. Also, the cost of PediaLyte (about $5.50 per liter) is significantly higher than Gatorade or bottled water. The generic equivalent fluid (HyVee has this, for instance) runs about $2 cheaper per liter and it's not too bad at all (price and flavor-wise) once it's diluted appropriately with water.

Oh! and everybody remember that the summer Olympics opening ceremony is tomorrow, August 8.

Later ...

No comments: