Thursday, April 16, 2009

New Microphone, Misc News

My new Shure microphone arrived today. It is an SM86 and requires separate (phantom) power but there is a significant difference in sound between it and my (old, reliable, Shure) SM58. So I'll take the SM58 along as a spare but plan to use the SM86 for performances. The phantom power supply box I bought is a Rolls (Mic Power II, PB223) which handles up to 2 microphones (48 volts). I'm not sure if the Rolls is the best power supply but it is a switcher and is supposed to be very "quiet". Plus it was also available from zZounds and I therefore got free shipping as the mic already had free shipping and they just threw them both in the same box (nice).

For singing gigs, I've decided to transfer all my equipment from my (smallish) carry bag (open at the top and made of heavy cloth) to a spare duffel bag that's not doing anything else right now. That will give me room for the extra equipment (mic, power supply) as well as space for an additional XLR cable and, whenever desired, video hookup equipment to drive a separate monitor/TV.

In other news, now that the bathrooms are updated (whew!), I donated the two old toilets to Habitat for Humanity and got them out of my garage. Next on the agenda is to clean up the front entrance with a fresh coat of paint and then clean up a stack of old wood off the back walkout. Having braced the two 4x4's at the ends of the deck earlier this week, I think the house will then be in pretty good shape for company (well, except for an incredible amount of vacuuming, etc., on the inside). Even though I'm not terribly domestic, I'm confident I can get the inside cleaned up if I just pace myself ;) ...

Next week I have 4 singing gigs and can't wait to use the new mic ... plus I talked to a hospice worker last Monday who asked for several of my cards to pass out to places she knows of where they might like to have a singer from time to time. Right now the only new place I have coming up is at Mercy Hospital towards the end of May. It's all fun ... and it does help keep me off the street, hehe.

No comments: