Monday, November 5, 2007

Windy - No Ride Today

Today the winds out there are significant, exceeding 40 mph from the northwest. At that level, it's just not safe to ride on the roads around here so I'm taking a day off riding. This evening I'll have a bite to eat with a friend and then go out to sing, as is my custom. It will, however, be nice when Iowa finally passes a law to forbid smoking in all public places. I do worry about second hand smoke in bars and it also keeps me from spending as much time out singing as I would like. Actually, it's probably a good thing as I do get more things done here at home.

Speaking of "home", there's a small water spot on the ceiling in the dining room. It happens to be directly below a vent pipe the goes up through the roof. I've got a ladder up in the garage and went into the attic to check it out and get more details. I do know that I'd never noticed this water spot before the roof installation, so I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that it occurred during that procedure. My guess is that the roof seal around the vent pipe wasn't perfect and there were several days of very heavy rain while the roof was being installed. I think some water made it through and I'm seeing the results of that. Now, however, the roof is completed and the problem should not recur. I'll have to take a look at it during a rainstorm but it's a real pain to get up there. I've also noticed that there is no vapor barrier in the attic, which I find to be unusual but I don't know that it's a big deal. Short of re-insulating, however, I'm not planning to address that right now ... nor do I think lack of a vapor barrier had anything to do with the water stain. So I think I'll paint the stain over and then see what happens as time goes by. H-mmm, I could also do a check sometime by running water from a hose down the roof in that area and see if it's sealed perfectly.

For now everything's a mess around here as I weigh the options so I think I'll proceed with painting the ceiling stain and then consider what to do next.

Later ...

No comments: