Thursday, June 26, 2008

Storms Movin' In

Looks like a rainy 24 hours coming up so I got my ride in fairly early this morning. Great temperature and low wind speed though so it was a fun ride. Also, I managed to survive two vigorous blackbird attacks ... boy, those birds need to get a life (hehe)!

Interesting observation today. My heart rate monitor uses my age, height, weight and resting heart rate in an algorithm to calculate calories burned during my workouts. What I've noticed over the past 4 weeks or so (following 3 prior months of consistent workouts) is that the calories burned result for the same ride, approximately same environment (i.e. wind, temperature) and same time of ride has been going down. For example, today's 24.7 mile ride in 88 minutes resulted in 745 calories burned whereas 5 weeks ago I rode the same ride in 86 minutes and burned 900 calories. That's 17% fewer calories burned. Right now my (non-scientific) conclusion is that the "machine" (i.e. me) is becoming more efficient at using the fuel provided to produce motion. It's interesting also that it has taken several months to see anything significant here. Basically, I think that improved efficiency means my heart rate average is lower and, of course, that means something like I may now be getting about 11.5 miles per hamburger rather than about 10 that I was getting earlier in the riding season ... (smile).

We'll see, as time goes on ... later.

No comments: