Sunday, August 12, 2007

Century Completed ... Again

Finished another century ride yesterday. I must say that I could feel the humidity though. I didn't get started as early as I wanted to and so that cost perhaps an extra hour in the hot, humid afternoon. At any rate, the ride covered 102.4 miles and it took me 7h 48min. It was different in that I don't think I ate as much of the right stuff for carbs. I say that because this time there is a little stiffness in the legs and that doesn't happen if you are eating properly on the ride. I'll have to look that up in my nutrition book again and reproduce my original food list for next time. I lost 5 pounds of liquid weight on this ride even though I drank almost a gallon ... so I'm sure I was sweating much more this time around. Well, it was a good time to do it and I've accomplished my goal of three of these rides for the summer (RAGBRAI in July and one each century ride in June and August).

Of course, all this means that I have to do laundry today as well as mow the lawn, things that I put off yesterday. But that works for me. Unfortunately, I think I had some "real" grass die and now there's quite a good deal of water or "quack" grass growing in the front yard. There's no selective herbicide way to get ride of that and so I'm resigned to using Roundup on it, raking it out and then re-seeding that area. I've decided that it will be therapeutic, even though I don't normally spend much time on the yard. This is a good lesson and, in the future, I'll not let the grass go more than a few weeks without watering it when it's dry like it was earlier this summer. And, since it's therapeutic, it will put a smile on my face ...

No comments: