Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Bridges of Madison County

Today was a good day ... golf with Larry this afternoon. Not the greatest golf game, but very much better, as they say, than being at work. We played at Ellis and it was *very* humid. I still think I did pretty well running up the hills vs. Larry's cart!

Then this evening I decided to pick up a few groceries but I stopped over at Pei's for a Rum & Coke before going to Target. Becoming, almost instantly, very relaxed, I absent mindedly diddled with the TV controller (since no one else was in the bar at the time) and happened upon the movie "The Bridges of Madison County". This reminded me of a recent journey out to western Iowa to see (and photograph) all the remaining covered bridges. Also visited the birthplace of John Wayne. At the time I was with someone that I believed was in love with me. That turned out to not be true but today's movie brought all of those feelings back to me again. In fact, I actually recognized one of the bridges in the movie (although I think the main bridge actually burned down sometime after the movie was shot). Sometimes, no matter how sure you are you've let go, your heart thinks otherwise ... how can that be? Anyway, I'm here to testify that, given enough pain, it really doesn't matter what the heart thinks ... best not to listen to falsehoods, of any type. But it does manage to remove the smiles from this day ...

Speaking of which, there is a good dance friend of mine that won't date me because she's "trying something" with another guy. Now this guy really doesn't seem happy when he's out there dancing with her. What's with that? She's pretty special, in her own way, and I hope he truly sees and appreciates that. Hopefully he'll be smiling more as time goes by.

Tonight I think I'll practice a few songs and then maybe go out for one more drink ... and an evening smile. As life goes, being alone is actually a pretty easy situation ... I really am getting used to it.

Oh, by the way! My eldest son is flying in to Chicago in September and bought me a ticket for the Cubs last homestand on Saturday, September 22. Well, it *could be* that they'll be competing for the pennant, right ? It will be a good time ... and I'm confident there won't be any rain that Saturday. G'day mates!

No comments: