Friday, July 6, 2007

Front Rack ... Resolved

Well, in the ongoing saga of getting a front rack for the TriCross, I found a place in California (I think) that makes one that should work. And rather than just ordering it, I called them (toll free, nice) and talked about the bike and my woes on this issue. At first I was dismayed to find out that the guy (John) wasn't aware that the 2007 TriCross now has mounting screws on the composite fork. But he did have a picture to examine after I informed him and then he agreed. So they have a lowrider rack that should work just fine (and I don't want to carry anything on top of the wheel, just on the sides) so I ordered it *and* I took the one that doesn't fit back to the bike shop for a refund.

That reminds me, when an internet order comes in that charges sales tax, are they charging the local county (6%) amount, which was effective on July 1, or do they charge the standard Iowa state value (5%). I bet it's the latter but will have to check it out.

Not much happening this weekend, for me anyway. Maybe I'll look around to see if there are any dances that are reasonably close and maybe worth going to. I think I'll also look in to building a shop bench on one wall of my garage. It will need to "fold up" against the wall, so I'll need to get some fairly heavy duty hinges, but I think I may use deck planks for the surface and probably 2x4's (again, on hinges) for the supporting legs. Another approach is to add on to the north side of the garage and build a workshop/storage area out there. I've thought about that before. That's not a bad idea, given that I'll likely be in this house forever. And even if I do move, it should add significant value for sale purposes. H-mmm. Well, first things first ... I know I can get a bench built pretty easily and that will only cost me about $50 (plus maybe some tool pegboards, a bench vise, etc.). Of course, all this is so I can work more easily on the more difficult issues regarding bicycle maintenance ... as you might have guessed. And I can tell that you're all out there with a knowing smile when I say that ... later.

No comments: